Vegan Instagram food blogger, @mummylentil, loves cooking for friends and family and takes inspiration from a wide range of different cuisines in their cooking. This week, they share with us a recipe for creamy tahini mushrooms, perfect on toast for a light summer meal.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed & finely chopped)
- 150g mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp red miso paste
- Generous splash of soy sauce
- Juice of half a lime
- Fresh coriander (chopped, to serve)
- Add the mushrooms to a hot frying pan without any oil and stir continuously.
- After 5 minutes add the olive oil to the pan. Once it’s heated up add the garlic, chili flakes and 5 spice powder, and stir to coat the mushrooms.
- Meanwhile in a bowl mix together the tahini, miso paste, soy sauce and lime juice. The mixture will thicken so loosen it up by whisking in splashes of water until it reaches a creamy consistency.
- Once the mushrooms have cooked, turn off the heat and toss the mushrooms in the tahini sauce.
- Serve the mushrooms on toast, sprinkled with fresh coriander.
Top tip: cooking the mushrooms like this reduces the amount of liquid they release and makes the flavour more intense
Cover illustation by Florence Bracey, see more of their work on Instagram, @flo.rence.rence.